The pervasive ridiculousness of the American political landscape circa 2009-2010 has become so desensitizing, it’s tempting to unplug. Just let the barbarians go wild.
In that spirit, here are 10 reasons not to become politically active (or even well aware) this year:
1) Take a stance on a significant issue and you risk being lumped in with the fringe crazies on your side. For instance, maybe you’re not in favor of federal health care reform but you view with alarm those who describe it as a Communist plot to imprint the United States with one-world socialism. Or, perhaps you like the idea of federal health care reform but you despise the politicians enriching themselves by sucking up to lobbyists who are protecting key industries from real reform.
2) Speak your mind in any setting, and thereby annoy or alienate friends, neighbors and coworkers who have been listening to the talk radio and TV wind tunnels demonize the fringe elements of your side.
3) If you’re glad the health care legislation passed, get called a “baby killer” even though the pro-abortion provisions were cut and President Obama issued an executive order reinforcing the longstanding federal policy prohibiting government funding of abortion.
4) If you agree that government spending is out of control and the president and Congress aren’t doing anything about it, get ready to be branded a “tea bagger” who’s storing guns and ammo in preparation for the coming revolution against the satanic commies who are running Washington.
5) Interested in participating in the Utah Republican nominating process? Pay no attention to the good-old-boys “this is the candidate we’re picking” deals being cut behind the curtain. Feel like right-wing Sen. Bob Bennett is a good representative of hard-right conservative positions? Well, good luck trying to filter the noise from the troop of opponents who say they’re the true right-wingers and Bennett’s a clone of Mao.
6) Want to help the Democrats make a comeback in the Legislature and county and state offices? Rent a cab for your meetings and don’t forget to call Washington for your orders from the Antichrist.
7) When a Democrat gets caught in a sex scandal (Bill Clinton, John Edwards, many others), well, of course! That’s merely proof the Left is depraved and godless with no family values.
8 ) If it’s a GOP office-holder dabbling in some “free love” (Sanford, Ensign, Vitter, Kevin Garn’s naked hot-tubbing, and many others), yes, what a bunch of moral-standards hypocrites.
9) You will feel no need to watch right-wing dopes in full glory.
10) You will have no interest in being reminded of leftist loons in equal flower.
I’ll post later about the flip side: 10 reasons why you should become well-informed and stay engaged this year.