Boylen feels heat after hideous loss to BYU

Utah basketball coach Jim Boylen let off some steam in the press conference after the Utes were blown out of the gym Wednesday night by their ancient rival, BYU.

Those were pretty innocuous, pertinent questions that triggered the coach’s snarls. But Boylen must have been fuming in any case. The Cougars embarrassed Utah 71-51 in a laugher worthy of a Utah fan’s worst nightmare.

I would have asked Boylen similar questions. Over the season I’ve become accustomed to seeing the lack of on-court leadership, the lack of effective game management and the absence of discipline on offense that led to the BYU disaster and the probing questions afterward.

When Boylen was hired, I loved what I heard from him. He said things like, “If anyone comes into the lane, they can expect to get hit.” He said he’d take the in-state rivalry seriously. Now I’m wondering when we’ll see it.

This entry was posted in Why are you crying? and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Boylen feels heat after hideous loss to BYU

1. Doug Gibson says:

It must be tough to maintain composure after a loss — and season — like this. This is usually the kind of stuff we see before a coach is gone. I hope he survives. I think he’s a good coach.

2. Justin Johnson says:

I agree he was a little short-fused, but the reporter in question comes off as an ass at times. Reality is that Boylen coached the Utes to both the MWC regular-season and tournament championships last year and a tough year with a bunch of closes losses happens. It’s not like he’s 1-27. They have been pretty competitive for the most part and this was a very fired up BYU team coming off a loss that cost it the MWC title.

3. Mark Shenefelt says:

You guys are showing some good perspective. Those of us who’ve enjoyed 40 years of the Utes most of the time beating BYU in Salt Lake may find it hard to abide rational perspective at the moment. though.

And lots of reporters come off as jackasses, Justin, so what’s your point? ;)

4. Sean says:

Mark, my problem comes down to the fact that Monson, who is not Utah’s beat writer, appeared snide in questioning the job Boylen was doing in that game.

Save it for the column. It’s unprofessional to walk into that man’s arena (and it is his arena) and question his leadership. I doubt Monson would take too kindly to Boylen walking over to the Trib’s headquarters, standing over his shoulder and correcting his article.

Ask what went wrong. Ask if it’s fixable. But don’t act smug. Monson is smug and lacked class with that question.

The fact he doesn’t cover the Utes and is never at the games but once a year (when they play BYU) also doesn’t help his case.

5. sione says:

Laughter – spelled correctly. This may be a blog but it is really a newspaper. Learn to spell. I find it odd that you don’t have people trying to knock your hands off your keyboard while you write but you still can’t do it properly.

6. DU says:

laugh·er
    Pronunciation: \ˈla-fər, ˈlä-\
    Function: noun
    Date: 15th century
    1 : one that laughs
    2 : something (as a game) that is easily won or handled

7. Mark Shenefelt says:

Sione, no typo, sorry to disappoint. Thanks for the dictionary reference, DU.