Just in case, here's a birth record

My son-in-law was plowing through several pages of hospital paperwork last night. My daughter was about to give birth to their first child, five weeks prematurely, and he probably wasn’t excited about the distracting load of bureaucracy.

“You’d better be careful with that, Kyle,” I told him. “If the boy ever runs for president, you’ll be glad you filled out his birth certificate info correctly.”

Who knows where the electrons of this blog entry will be when my first grandchild goes for the presidency of the United States 40 or 50 years from now? But just in case this data is preserved, let my declaration today hereby serve as corroborating evidence that Jaxson Fusselman was born in Ogden, Utah, on Aug. 4, 2009, to Kyle and Ashly Fusselman, both themselves U.S. citizens, also born in this country.

I was right there. I saw Jaxson take his first few breaths. I watched as the nurse put the little warming cap on him and wrapped him in a blanket. I laughed with the rest of the family when someone said Jaxson looked like a burrito all wrapped up like that.

I’m very proud of my daughter and her husband and their little boy. Kyle, by the way, is going to be a great dad. He’s a hard worker and is applying to medical school. In fact, a few months ago he went on a humanitarian medical trip to Kenya. He spent a week in a rural village providing medical and dental care to Kenyans.

I think I’ll stop there. The birthers could be reading.

This entry was posted in Why are you crying?. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Just in case, here's a birth record

1. flatlander100 says:

I don’t know…. Fusselman sounds pretty furrin’ to me. Probably Canadian. Are you sure you’re not blogging from Vancouver where your grandchild was born, laying the groundwork for him to claim American citizenship so he won’t have to grow up in a benighted country cursed with national health care? Wouldn’t put it past you….

[Glad all went well. ]

2. Mark Shenefelt says:

Thanks, Flatlander. … The kid has quite a bit of German ancestry in him from both sides, plus a bunch of Greek. Nothing’s a slam dunk ;)

3. Casey Shultz says:

It would be so cool to be able to say, “that’s Jaxon– with an X.”

4. Cathy says:

Jaxson Fusselman is the name of my next band!!!!!!

Congrats, “Grandpa” :D

5. laytonian says:

Congrats, grandpa!

Sounds like you’ve raised ‘em well…..but maybe you should have a talk with them, about the spelling of that name. ;)
    I’ve spent my entire life having to spell my name to others. It’s a very common name, but with a variant that my parents thought would be “interesting”. All six of us children have “misspelled” names, and if we could force our parents back in time…..well, we’d give them big kisses and say “please, don’t do that”.

6. Mark Shenefelt says:

Trust me, Laytonian — I counseled repeatedly about weird name spellings. But since when did kids ever listen to their parents? I have zero influence with them, I’ve come to accept.

7. laytonian says:

You’ve obviously had lots of good influence; I guess a bit of artfulness in the baby-naming business is a minor thing.

Tell them you’re changing your name to Marque.

8. Sandra says:

Funny. A week in Kenya is good but you don’t even put a dent in what they need. Now after he has graduated, see if the family will go over and donate a year of service, then you can brag about that part.

Congrats on the grandson. I have a \Lindsay\ and have to remind myself, Lindsay with an \A\ because to me it should be spelled, Lindsey. Have fun with Jaxson.