Why does ‘The Bible’ TV show have to make Satan look like President Obama?

I am really enjoying the History Channel miniseries, “The Bible.” It’s been very interesting and in my opinion, well produced. I’ve tried to tune out friends, within my own faith, who want to nitpick particular theology. Hey, it’s a film. Its’ a shame that the production was tarnished last night.

Last night Satan tempting Jesus Christ during his 40-day fast was in part 3. At the time, I didn’t notice a resemblance between Old Scratch and our current president, but it seems there is one. This photo from last night’s episode looks like President Obama as perceived by the small paranoid fringe out there that believes Obama is the antichrist. Google it, the nutzoids who can’t distinguish between political differences and biblical theories are out there. Glenn Beck was all over it today.

This is not a slam on Mohamen Mehdi Ouazanni, a respected actor from Morocco who played Satan on the miniseries. The blame is on the creators. Mark Burnett, who deserves credit for producing the show, is not an idiot. He must have seen the resemblance. He should have exercised due diligence. It mars an otherwise good production.

This entry was posted in The Political Surf and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Why does ‘The Bible’ TV show have to make Satan look like President Obama?

1. Steve says:

I never would have thought, “Hey, this looks like Obama” if a bunch of people on the Internet hadn’t said, “Hey, that looks like Obama.” But now when I squint and hold my head a bit sideways, it still doesn’t much look like Obama.

• Doug Gibson says:

Steve, as someone who has occasionally come across caricatures and unflattering photos of the president (from conservative sources) I have to repeat that the resemblance seems to be there.

• Brent Glines says:

Doug, to be fair, you probably should also post the picture I put on your Facebook page that shows a normal picture of the actor. From that picture, I think most people would agree that the resemlance, if any, is very slight. I would post it, but I haven’t had any luck trying HTML code to post pictures in the SE blogs (maybe they are blocked). For people who follow links, here is a link.

• Doug Gibson says:

I’ll agree he doesn’t look like Obama in the photos you gave me, but he’s an actor. Meryl Streep doesn’t normally look like Margaret Thatcher and Daniel Day Lewis doesn’t normally look like Abraham Lincoln. I have not accused Burnett of intentionally doing this, but I think he might have noticed the resemblance if he was really paying attention. I see a resemblance, although if you don’t I can understand that. Steve barely sees it. I will add it’s not stopping me from watching part 4. I’ve enjoyed the miniseries.

• Brent Glines says:

Heh, except for an over abundance of hair, I think the actor looks more like me than he looks like Obama. :D

• Brent Glines says:

Here’s his Facebook page. I’m REALLY not seeing it…

• Steve says:

I haven’t seen the miniseries so I don’t know how this played out in real-time, but in this one still I can kinda sorta almost see a vaguish Obama in there. May have been intentional, may not. If it was intentional, they did a pretty poor job of it. In any event, it’s certainly not worth getting all worked up over.

2. Artcore says:

Doug,

You seriously had nothing better to write about than this?

Good grief, you’re starting to sound like a whiny liberal, looking for something to be offended by. The guy looks like Obama…so what? I think you’ve been spending way too much time around Charles T.

3. Artcore says:

Oh, BTW, Mohamen Mehdi Ouazanni’s ears aren’t nearly big enough to even remotely resemble Obama, and his mole is on his chin; Obama has his mole/wart on the side of his nose.

Just sayin’

4. Neal Humphrey says:

Doug may have something here. I think Mohamen Mehdi Ouazanni is the spittin’ image of Stanley Ann Dunham.

5. Elisabeth Wallace says:

I hate to admit it…but yes, there is a resemblance. The question that interests me is not if he resembles the president, but why he resembles him.

6. Jeff Snow says:

Just imagine the temptation, (not to mention the ratings boost for the History Channel) if Beezelbub was portrayed by someone resembling Salma Hayek.

Consider that Mark Burnett!