Palin and irony and Saudi clerics tell women to breastfeed those men

One of the great things about Sarah Palin is she cuts through the bull#$% of politics.  Watch That’s also part of what horrifies her detractors on the left and right. I admit to wishing that she wouldn’t say President Obama lacks “cojones” on the immigration issue but you can’t deny that her opinion leaves no wishy-washiness. You know what she believes; and you can’t always say that about Mitt Romney. Even Arianna Huffington admits this is a strength. Read

There is a delicious irony of Palin’s detractors both mocking her and cursing her. My good friend, Nicole Coulter, a Logan, Utah, native, who will soon reside in Pennsylvania and blogs at the website conservatives4palin, has penned a witty volume on the Palin irony issue, “Advice to Sarah Palin From the Know-it-Alls.” (Confession: I read an early draft and am listed in the book’s acknowledgements). “Advice…”‘s first half owes a lot to C.S. Lewis’ “The Screwtape Letters,” where Nicole — a self-described recovering Democrat — takes the role of a media/political elitist describing a mixture of “disgust and fear” for Palin. This will resonate with the millions of Palin fans, and yes, there are millions, who are amazed at the consistent Palin Derangement Syndrome they witness from the popular culture. It’s everywhere, even at the hands of a Hollywood teen star, Ellen Page, who felt it important to launch a few cheap asides at Palin while tub-thumping the film “Inception.” Watch

There are many great lines in “Advice …”; one of my favorite is why some conservatives (the two Davids, Frum and Brooks, and Kathleen Parker, rip on Palin). Nicole writes, “The bottom line is this: we in GOP-snob central have a proud history of acquiescence that includes appearing regularly on programs catering to people who loathe us.” … As the book moves on, the narrator’s tone changes and she becomes a “recovering Democrat” herself. The wit remains though, as sections are devoted to overcoming elitism, lessons in misogyny and questions for deep Palin-haters such as Matt Damon. Nicole’s book, which is being sold at Palin rallies and Tea Parties, is available here

In the banality of religious evil watch, we note that Imams in Saudia Arabia are all in a tizzy over how unmarried Muslim women can interact with other Muslim men in the workplace. I’m reading Muslim refugee Ayaan Hirsi Ali’s inspiring memoir, “Nomad,” where she recounts her escape from a misogynistic lifestyle governed by the Koran. The author points out that although most Christians differ with the disturbing doctrines of the Old Testament, Muslims are forbidden to question the Koran. As a result, women are second-class citizens in Islam. Results of this include honor killings and genital mutilation of countless girls, including Somali-born Hirsi Ali, a scholar at the American Enterprise Institute who lives with bodyguards due to death threats.

So, in order to avoid breaking Islamic law, “Women in Saudi Arabia should give their breast milk to male colleagues and acquaintances in order to avoid breaking strict Islamic law forbidding mixing between the sexes, two powerful Saudi clerics have said. They are at odds, however, over precisely how the milk should be conveyed,” writes AOL News contributor Dana Kennedy. You can read the whole story here

It’s easy to laugh at this, but it’s not so funny when one considers that millions of women are oppressed, covered in cloth, taught that they are chattel and beaten with approval by their religion/state. In 2009, an elderly woman in Saudi Arabia was given 40 lashes and sentenced to six months in prison because two men delivered bread to her home. These practices must not be tolerated in Western nations in the interests of “diversity.”

This entry was posted in The Political Surf. Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Palin and irony and Saudi clerics tell women to breastfeed those men

1. Jim Hutchins says:

I’m sorry, Doug, but I find it offensive in the extreme to be told *why* I feel the way I do.

Particularly when the commentators are as articulate and well-spoken as Frum, Brooks and Parker, I honestly don’t think they need Nicole Coulter telling them why they believe what they believe. It’s off-putting, condescending, and just plain wrong to attempt to explain or criticize someone’s internal thought process.

I’m all for a debate on ideas and the expression of those ideas, but a debate on (for example) whether your faith or mine is stronger would be pointless and offensive.

2. Jim Hutchins says:

Also:

I had to go away for a moment and check this, but Ellen Page is 23.

cuts through the bullshit? Like saying the letting the tax cuts laps will cost $3.5 billion when they won’t do any such thing?

that really is bull#$%^

Sort of like Palin’s “death panel” crap. If pure fiction is what you call cutting to the chase, I guess she is good at it, but I’d hardly find it something to admire.

also, i wonder about your rant about saudi women and breast milk and bread and so forth. You end saying these things must not be tolerated in Western Nations in the name of “diversity.” Who, pray tell, is saying they should be?

And, a geographical note, Saudi Arabia is not a western nation.

I meant $3.8 Trillion. Sorry, but unlike Sarah I don’t write things on my hand.

5. BobBecker says:

Doug:

You wrote: “In 2009, an elderly woman in Saudi Arabia was given 40 lashes and sentenced to six months in prison because two men delivered bread to her home. These practices must not be tolerated in Western nations in the interests of “diversity.””

Clearly not. And just who is it you think has advocated tolerating things like this in Western nations in the name of diversity?

6. Michael Trujillo says:

I disagree with most of your first paragraph. I don’t think there’s ever been a doubt about what Palin believes. Her absurd opinions have been plainly voiced by her. And your “even Arianna Huffington admits this is a strength” is a condescending remark that is ludicrous in light of the fact that Huffington is an extremely intelligent woman. As for Palin’s use of “cojones”; well that’s just your white-bread LDS nature squirming at the sound of straight talk. Hell, I wish more public figures would feel free to use the words that adequately describe the tone of their feelings about something without bowing to PC decorum. (Note: how much better would Anthony Weiner’s scolding of Congress have been had he been able to sprinkle it with a few “wussies” and Republicans’ lack of cojones?)

As for the entire three paragraphs: what makes you think that the ridicule of Palin is based on fear? I think you have completely misinterpreted the motivation for the ridicule. Sarah Palin is the Pauly Shore of contemporary American Politics. She represents the bad taste and bad judgment of a portion of the American public that, for some bizarre reason, actually likes her act. Just as Pauly Shore was making big money starring in movies in which he was neither funny nor appealing, Sarah is making big money headlining speaking engagements and tv appearances where she is neither insightful nor appealing. By ridiculing Sarah Palin, one can make the statement, “I can’t believe anyone is so simple that they actual think she’s good at what she does.” Of course, you may not get my analogy, Doug, if you were one of Pauly’s many fans back when he was starring in so many forgettable movies.

Regarding religious evil: “…millions of women are oppressed, covered in cloth, taught that they are chattel and beaten with approval by their religion/state.” describes both Medieval Europe and Victorian England. I don’t think the problem is isolated to one particular religion.

And, you must be unaware that these practices AREN’T tolerated in Western nations, otherwise you wouldn’t have written your final sentence.

7. Al says:

Sarah Palin cuts through the bullshit of politics. That’s a funny way to describe a craven political opportunist so woefully uninformed about the issues that she still requires notes on her hand.

I’ve read Nicole’s hagiographic blog about Palin and I come away rather unimpressed. Recent entry at edgyconservative: “101 Reasons to support Sarah Palin,” number 51: “She doesn’t shove her faith down anyone’s throat.” What utter tripe.

8. Nicole says:

Thanks for kind remarks, Doug. Those of us not drowning in liberal myopia and depression see Gov. Palin as the freedom-loving trailblazer she truly is … And, we actually have a sense of humor, unlike the increasingly dour left.

9. Jim Hutchins says:

Nicole: As Ronald Reagan famously said, “There you go again.”

Are you so bloody sure of your point of view that you can only ascribe my opinion to “liberal myopia and depression”? After all, those are internal states of which I would have no external signs. As far as my “sense of humor,” I have plenty of external validation of that.

I am amazed at your ability to see inside my soul. You might want to read some Matthew 7 and get some tips on whether that’s a good idea or not.

nicole: Did ms palin say $3.8 trillion, or did she not?

She did. The figure is silly.

She said it.

She also said death panels. That’s not my myopia talking, that’s my observation that a requirement that doctors actually listen to their patients when the discuss treatment and when to withhold it, and be paid for the time, is a good thing while she tosses out an idiotic “death panels” statement obviously meant only to inflame.

If you, in your own conservative myopia, would like to show me that she did not say $3.8 trillion, and did not talk about death panels, be my guest.

11. midwinter says:

1) Ellen Page is Canadian. Not sure why her opinion merited any mention.

2) I disagree with him pretty often, but Andrew Sullivan has been cataloging objections to Palin for a while now. As he consistently points out, she is the face of the GOP and the left needs to take her very seriously.

3) I think it’s hilarious that the GOP has spent 30 years cultivating a generation of Palins and now what’s left of the intellectuals in the party of scared to death.

12. midwinter says:

er, “of scared to death” = “are scared to death”

I blame Palin Derangement Syndrome for the typo.

13. Doug Gibson says:

Midwinter, I apologize for the typo. It happens. … Is that the Andrew Sullivan who has wrecked his reputation with his Bircher-like obsession that Trig Palin is not Sarah Palin’s son?

14. BobBecker says:

As evidence that unhappiness with Ms. Palin’s anti-intellectual demagoguery is not coming exclusively from those suffering from what you like to think is “liberal myopia,” permit me to offer this:

and the embedded link to Professor Bainbridge’s list. The link to the first item comes from “The Volokh Conspiracy” blog, a conservative/libertarian legal blog. The poster, Jonathan Adler, is a consistent conservative who posts criticism of the Obama administration and Democratic congress on the blog regularly. Professor Bainbridge, who composed the ten reasons list is, similarly, a widely read conservative legal blogger.

Anti-intellectual demagoguery worries me, Nicole, no matter from which ideological direction it comes. It’s as dangerous to liberty coming from an Al Sharpton as it is coming from a Sarah Palin if it’s being embraced by elected officials for the purpose of winning elections. In both instances, it is. In both instances, it shouldn’t be. .

15. Tom says:

Well not only is Palin the face of the new Republican party but she is also now
    the new chest of the party! Yep folks, our own folksy, but lame, Sarah went and got
    her boobs pumped up a few sizes. She will certainly be a major contender in the Republican party now considering how much the leadership just loves all things phony and big.

16. TV says:

I tried, I promise, but I guess I just don’t get “the delicious irony” part. What is the irony? I THINK I know what irony is. What, that people like me don’t think she’d make a good president but fear that in these anger-days she might get elected anyway? Sorry, i don’t get it. Maybe I do get it but just don’t believe it’s true.

As for her cutting through the bull that is politics, um, what, she uses the word cajones and all-of-a-sudden that is cutting through bull? No, that is EXACTLY the bullshit that is rampant in politics these days: that is, she offers absolutely NO policy agenda capable of being passed and instead she comes up with, I admit, ballsy (literal, in this case) rhetoric that scores her big points on sound-bite politics but, as always these days, that means nothing on real policy matters. So, big deal. She can say cajones. Try actually being president and passing an immigration agenda through Congress that wouldn’t even pass an immigration agenda when Republicans owned all the bodies.

BTW, I did go to the red page. It’s way too red.

17. Pingback: August 3, 2010 | Standing With Sarah

18. Midwinter says:

Sure, Doug. Sully has completely wrecked his reputation. He’s been reduced to working as an editor/contributor/blogger for The Atlantic and a regular contributor to the London Times. Alas, poor Sully! How the mighty have fallen!

At any rate, I really hope Palin runs. She’ll destroy the GOP in ways that Bush never could have.

19. GORGOGEIGER says:

I’m glad you don’t refudiate your sloppy, juvenile, whitebread, golly-gee-shucks-she’s-pretty-and-tells-it-like-it-is-but-is-illiterate moronic Palin mouthbreathing, Doug, because the gig is up: If that braindead, psychotic, delusional twit reads “all of them,” in reference to the country’s publications, she’s reading your blog about your ward, so maybe she will wink at you next time you’re writing about how your bishop scolded you for using bullsh*# and letting your hand creep down where it’s not supposed to go when you look at photos of the biggest maveriky joke in contemporary American politics. I’m not scared of that retard, I’m scared that people like you arent.

20. BobBecker says:

Nicole and Doug:

We’ve recently had some warning signs of what the currently fashionable demagoguery of the Palin/Michelle Bachman/Beck crowd can lead to, where it can go. Recall the Lt. Gov. of Tennessee [ Republican] who suggested to a campaign crowd a week ago that Islam may not be a religion at all. He said “”Now, you could even argue whether being a Muslim is actually a religion, or is it a nationality, way of life, cult whatever you want to call it.” And of course its being a cult rather than a religion raises questions, he said, about whether Muslims are entitled to the “freedom of religion” protections of the first amendment.

One man, you say? An outlier? Except now a major leader of one of the Tea Party groups is saying the same, and going further:

“Annie Hamilton, the official blogger of the Tea Party Patriots, is so patriotic that she wants to shred the constitution and deny Muslims even the right to get together and go to an amusement park. Like that dolt running for governor in Tennessee, she accomplishes this by declaring that Islam is not a religion and therefore the First Amendment does not apply:

‘Muslim Day at Six Flags is inappropriate for a multitude of reasons and I’m saddened and shocked by the ignorance of the Corporate folks and by the action that now must be taken by the rest of us.

‘First, Islam is NOT a religion, it is an ideology – the religious portion only encompasses 11 % (the qur’an) the rest is the Sira and Hadith and the closest parallel to Islam is the Ku Klux Klan – if that is Six Flag’s idea of ‘appropriate’ then by all means, hold your day on September 12th but don’t plan on expanding any time soon because not only will we ensure that you don’t grow, we’ll make sure that your parks become a thing of the past….

‘STOP placating them – in addition, there is no such thing as a moderate muslim, regardless of what you’ve heard – from the mouth of the son of a well known Imam. Islam is as Islam does. And Regardless of what you might think, there is no such thing of a ‘mild’ muslim, even the ‘quiet’ ones who live on the street corner, drive the BMW and work in the dr’s office…they go to mosque, satisfy the pillars, pray, etc…and the money they are giving, that is funding terror.

it is funding terror – and by your silence, YOU are funding terror. YOU are funding terror.

STOP THE SILENCE. STOP THE NONSENCE. STOP THE MUSLIM DAY – THEY ARE NOT AMERICANS. THEY DO NOT ABIDE BY OUR CONSTITUTION – THEY ARE NOT ONE OF US – YOU ARE EITHER WITH US OR AGAINST US – MAKE YOUR DECISION.

Annie Hamilton
    Los Angeles, California’”

[More from Ms. Hamilton and comment on her ranting can be found at Ed Brayton’s “Dispatches from the Culture Wars” blog, link here: http://scienceblogs.com/dispatches/2010/08/tea_party_blogger_pushes_islam.php#more

It’s that kind of demagoguery that, I think, Ms. Palin plays to and encourages. As she said during her campaign for the vice-presidency, if you do not share her views, you’re not a real American. It’s a dangerous trend. I’d think the danger would be obvious in a state more than half of whose residents belong to a faith many Americans elsewhere believe to be a cult…. and so, as the trend on the right indicated by the items above suggests, not entitled to first amendment protections.

21. Nicole says:

Wow, who knew the Ogden Standard Examiner in Ogden, Utah could attract such a liberal following in the third most conservative state in the nation? Impressive. As a former Democrat myself, I totally understand Palin Derangement Syndrome. It’s the same thing as Bush Derangement Syndrome which came on the heels of Reagan Derangement Syndrome.

Having participated in some of the above, I have to say it’s mostly envy disguised as erudition. No liberal should be taken seriously compalining about Palin “demagoguery” after what we have witnessed from Obama since he appeared on the national scene in 2004. Seriously … demogoguery? Does the phrase “get in their faces and argue with them” ring a bell? Um, it should. The “erudite” Obama said it. Such class. That’s why so many of us see him as little more than a Chicago thug. Indeed, that’s what Bill Clinton called him during the Democratic primaries.

Moreover, I really couldn’t care less about David Frum. Indeed, who cares about David Frum? He is a legend in his own mind.

Lastly, I find it pathetic that one poster had to resort to juvenile comments about Sarah Palin’s breasts, which have remained the same size her entire adult life, except, we presume when she was breastfeeding her children. (So perhaps it does relate to your post, Doug).

I happen to own the type of blouse Palin wore to the horse races this year (the photo that created serious “news”), and the way the blouse is cut in front does amazingly enhance God’s natural gifts to us beautiful women. I wear that blouse often. It’s my version of a POWER suit. And it’s cheaper than breast enhancements. Deal with it, sexists.

Meanwhile, see ya in November, Palin haters!

Mama Grizzlies are comin’!

22. Rick M says:

As a socially liberal, freedom loving citizen, I personally would LOVE to see Palin throw her bonnet in the ring for President. All the Mama Grizzlies, those all knowin’, white women with conservative values, they would be all ragin’ for Palin.

All those emotional God fearin’ tea partiers that are mad as hell as the huge federal gov’t that just keeps taking away their god-given rights and money (never mind that they would freak if anyone suggested reform to the two biggest federal programs, Medicare and Social Security), they would be ragin’ for Palin.

All those Mormons that throw tithing into poltical causes to protect their rights to decide who is allowed to marry whom, they will be ragin’ for Palin. (Never mind it’s against the law for tax exempt organizations to fund political causes).

And, luckily, they are all still in the minority…and can you imagine the diliemma for the “sane” Republicans? How fun.

23. Nicole says:

Yeah, it’s all about white people and Mormons, Rick. Way to stoke the racial divide and fuel anti-Mormonism, the binding thread that unites all liberals connected to Utah, and brings them in droves to the Utah newspaper blogs for much-needed bigotry fellowship.

Interestingly, I just got back from a Palin supporter meet-up in San Diego where I sat next to two African Americans, two Asian Americans, and a Latino American who are all very supportive of Gov. Palin. We also listened to our keynote speaker, Tammy Bruce, a conservative talk radio host who is openly lesbian.

So, try as you might to stereotype us all into neo-Amish white supremacists, you’re really pretty pathetic. I would have suggested therapy, but I’ve given up advising other human beings on how to live their lives when I quit the Democratic party.

Hate on!

nicole — we’re still waiting to hear where sarah got that $3.9 trillion number.

Doug — still waiting to hear which people — names, please! — want to allow granny beating for having bread delivered in the U.S.

25. Doug Gibson says:

Charlie,

How you can mock the extremists atrocities that millions adhere to today in Islam, many in the West, is not outrageous, only disheartening.

And if you don’t think honor killings and genital mutilation is occurring in the U.S. today, you probably think Dick Cheney was worse than Osama bin Laden. I can think of cases where a father “honor-killed” his daughter(s) or wife in Arizona, Texas and New York.

The latest, from England: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1299752/Honour-killing-gang-murdered-wrong-couple-firebombing.html

Nicole:

You wrote: “As a former Democrat myself, I totally understand Palin Derangement Syndrome. It’s the same thing as Bush Derangement Syndrome which came on the heels of Reagan Derangement Syndrome.”

You seem to have forgotten “Obama Derangement Syndrome.” If you can find anything comparable to the hysterical reaction in much of Utah to the new President’s speech coming from people in positions of authority [school board members, principals, etc.] to school children during the terms of Bush II or Reagan, please reference.

And you allege serious demagoguery on the part of President Obama as a candidate: “No liberal should be taken seriously compalining about Palin demagoguery after what we have witnessed from Obama since he appeared on the national scene in 2004. “

And you evidence of that is one phrase, this one: ““get in their faces and argue with them.” That’s it? That’s your evidence for demagoguery or support of demagoguery from Obama? Seems pretty tepid stuff compared to the Tea Party group’s rhetoric [some examples above] which Ms. Palin has been playing to, which groups she’s been supporting and whose support she’s been soliciting.

I’m with you regarding comments about candidate’s clothing, looks, etc. But beyond that, seems to me you’ve made a very thin case for your argument, particularly regarding demagoguery and Candidate Obama. Yes, you can find demagoguery coming from extremists on the left akin to the kind coming from the extreme right [again, examples above, and others like the Iowa Tea Party group that posted a billboard with Obama, Stalin and Hitler that asked what was the difference among them. ]. What you won’t find, however, is President Obama or other party leaders cheering them on and seeking their support, such as we see on the right from Palin, Bachman, Beck and several more, all recognized as influential party leaders or office-holders. You’re going to have to do better than “get in their face and argue with them” no matter how popular that phrase may be on right-wing websites.

Doug:

I don’t think Charlie was mocking. He was asking, as I am too, just who it is you think in the west supports allowing such savagery here in the name of diversity? There may be such people, but I don’t know of any in the US in a position of authority or elected office. Do you?

Yes, there are honor killings in the US among recent immigrant families. And you know what we do, here in the US, when they happen? We arrest the fathers or brothers who did the killing and we try them for murder. How, exactly, does that add up to “tolerating” or taking the matter lightly or advocating it in the name of diversity? Seems to me it does the opposite..

All I’ve seen in the media regarding “honor” killings [what an odd name for savagery], beating of women for having bread delivered, or killing children [girls of course] for attending school is condemnation. Don’t know where you’ve been looking if you’re finding support for it here in the name of diversity. Seems to me, at least with respect to the US and most western nations, you’re setting up a straw man by implying there are significant numbers, or prominent leaders, in the west in general, and here in particular, who favor ignoring the savagery in the name of diversity.

28. TV says:

Bob: You forgot about Clinton Derangement Syndrome. So, so far, we have three Republican Derangement Syndromes (Palin, Bush, Reagan) and two Democrat Derangement Syndromes (Obama, Clinton) … and it’s beginning to sounds like –oh my gosh — like politics! Imagine.

TV:

[Grin] Right. I forget that one.

I think there’s one ground on which Doug has a point regarding American tolerance of Islamic extremism: The refusal of the press in the US to publish the Mohammed cartoons was craven, no doubt about it [and from the people who have the most to lose by the suppression of free press]. The cowardice included, I noticed, the SE and the Trib. But we ought to consider, too, the blogs that supported the recent “Draw Mohammed Day” and solicited from their readers drawn pictures [all kinds --- funny, derisive, neither] — of Mohammed and published them on their blogsites. [Wikipedia has the story of "Draw Mohammed Day" here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everybody_Draw_Mohammed_Day ] I took that as a vigorous statement by thousands of Americans to Islamic fundamentalists of foreign lands that might reasonably be summarized this way: “You may shut down free speech where you are in power, but you won’t do it here, you SOBs, no matter how cowardly our newspaper editors and publishers may be.” You won’t do it here.

Doug might have added, too, some of PEN’s most prominent luminaries chickening out [and that's what it was] of promises to speak openly in support of Salman Rushdie when the fatwah calling for his murder was first issued. [I've seen Christoper Hitchens speak on that. His contempt for the craven among writers was something to see... but then, contempt is one of the things Hitch does best.]

But the examples Doug posted here were far more horrific [the old woman's beating, honor killings] and, again, I know of no one in a position of authority or significant influence in the west in general, or here in particular, who condones things like that. All the commentary I’ve seen has been condemnatory. All of it.

There’s an article in National Review On Line that I think illustrates [and far better than he did] what Doug is arguing. NR Online is not a publication much known for thoughtful consideration of the complexity and nuances of difficulty issues, but this article is, I think, an exception and worth a read. Link here: http://article.nationalreview.com/438941/ban-the-burqa/claire-berlinski?page=1

Whether circumstances in the US justify what the author, Claire Berlinski, advocates for Europe [what we might call "Muslim Control Laws, broadly speaking] is debatable. But for European nations with large and growing Muslim populations, she makes an interesting case. Worth a read.

32. CB says:

Nicole, I take it that you’re not trying to sell your book by means of persuasion or reaching out to a possibly different readership, but by being rude and divisive. Good luck with that.

You said:
    “the way the blouse is cut in front does amazingly enhance God’s natural gifts to us beautiful women. I wear that blouse often. It’s my version of a POWER suit. And it’s cheaper than breast enhancements. Deal with it, sexists.”

Your power is in making your boobs look big? That’s your power suit? Most of us prefer to be looked in the eye when we are talking but then… if I spewed out as much vitriol and condescension as you have just in these few posts, I guess I’d be wishing for breast distraction superpowers too. Yikes. I definitely refudiate the statement that it’s others who are the sexists.

You will now see me decline to comment on the irony of a breast enlarging power suit and feeding one’s breast milk to co-workers… except to say that perhaps the Muslims are on to something there.

doug, i didn’t mock anything. YOU said — or at least implied — that someone here in the west wants to tolerate those things in the name of “diversity.”

Who? I’m not saying they don’t happen, I’m asking who approves “in the name of diversity.” I infer from the way you word it that there are “liberals” (ACLU?) or someone of that ilk, but cannot be sure, who approve. Without more specifics, it sounds like a straw man.

that’s ALL I’m asking.

34. Michael Trujillo says:

Hand and hand with wagging our fingers at how other countries conduct themselves is keeping our own house in order. The U.S. is the 5th in the world in the number of executions carried out. We are exceeded only by China, Iran, Iraq, & Saudi Arabia.

So, why should other Western countries “tolerate” our brutality in the name of law and order?

Just saying that outrage at others is easy. Examining ourselves is hard.