1. Syracuse (6-0): The showdown with Northridge is set after Layton failed to slow down the Titans. Syracuse’s stout defense will finally be put to the test this week.
2. Northridge (6-0): The state’s No. 2-ranked offense put up its lowest point total of the season against Weber, but still won handily without stud fullback Dallin Isaacson on the field.
3. Box Elder (5-1): Two straight wins has the Bees tied for first place atop the Region 5 standings. But with Mountain Crest and Logan still to play, their path won’t get any easier.
4. Davis (4-2): Winless Fremont gave the Darts everything they could handle in the first half, but Davis pulled away in the end. Can they carry the momentum into Layton this week?
5. Roy (4-2): Despite consecutive losses, the Royals have to be encouraged by their play in both games against tough squads. A last-minute loss to defending 4-A champ Logan will still sting for some time, though.
6. Bear River: (4-2): The Bears are among the best in what will likely prove to be a tight race for the Region 11 title. Their duel with rival Morgan this week is their biggest game yet.
7. Layton (2-4): After routing Weber, the Lancers ran into the buzzsaw against Syracuse on Friday. They will battle Davis for third place in Region 1 this week.
8. Morgan (3-3): It will be tough for the Trojans to get over their heartbreaking overtime loss to Stansbury. Now is no time to sulk, though. Bear River is next.
9. Bonneville (2-4): The Lakers’ offensive woes were apparent against Mountain Crest and they will need to shape up if they have any hope of beating archrival Roy on the road.
10. Layton Christian (3-3): Will the real Eagles please stand up? Blowout wins and blowout losses highlight serious consistency issues for LCA. I guess that’s the life of 1-A football.
(Top of Utah teams include 15 high schools in the Standard-Examiner’s coverage area)