This week’s mini-interview is with Ogden amateur MMA fighter Matt Jackson (seen after his victory at the One-Strike-One-Kill card Nov. 17 at the Davis Conference Center) Matt scored a first round knockout.
1A) Provide age, weight, height and MMA fight style.
Jackson: “I’m 21 years old, 155 pounds, 6 foot tall and I am more of a grappler but I have been working my standup a lot lately.”
1) What sparked your interest in mixed martial arts?
Jackson: “I have wanted to fight ever since I was a kid and heard stories of my grandpa fighting on the ranches. When I saw MMA for the first time I knew some day I wanted to try it.”
2) Who are some MMA fighters who inspire you and why?
Jackson: “Chael Sonnen, love him or hate him, he has great work ethic and works his ass off. And he isn’t going to stop until he wins his dad a world title. Also, the Diaz brothers. They are true martial artists and great athletes.”
3) What are your goals in your MMA career?
Jackson: “I want to take it as far as possible. If I end up making it to the UFC someday that is fine by me.”
4) What’s the most important training component in MMA?
Jackson: “Staying consistently dedicated; f you want to truly improve, you can’t lose dedication.”
Thanks Matt, and good luck in the future. … The big news tonight is the SteelFist MMA card at The Rail Event Center in Salt Lake City. Ogden 170 pounders Shawn Conroy and Justin Roberts square off against Carl Diekmann and Kani Correa. My SE advance story on the card is here. We’ll have the results posted by early Saturday morning. If you can’t make it, FightingOutofNet will have interviews, fight commentary, and of course results. … Ogden MMA fighter Patrick Reeves has been added to Total Mayhem’s Dec. 31 MMA card and New Year’s Eve party at the Davis Conference Center. The card also matches Ogden 170-pounder Lee Doss against Idaho’s Aaron Sutton. The card starts at 8 p.m. More information here. Tonight, on Bellator TV on MTV2; card starts at 5, Top of Utahn Rad Martinez fights Shah Shamhalaev for the tournament championship at 155 pounds. The winner earns $100,000. On Saturday, Utah’s Ramsey Nijem fights on the prelims of the UFC card. The prelims will be on FX; main card on channel 13.
Boxing: The big WBU world welterweight championship fight with Sal Lake City’s Chris Fernandez defending his belt against Allen Litzau, of St. Paul, Minn., is a day and a week away. It starts at 8 on Dec. 15 at The South Towne Expo Center in Sandy. I have filed an advance on the fight with the Standard-Examiner and I will post it when it runs. Here is another advance on the card from journalist Raymond Sanchez, of Roy, for Inside The Ropes, a boxing website. The undercard includes a match between Ogden cruiserweight Freddie Martinez and David Madrid. Other fighters scheduled to appear include Willy Walton, Cesar Olmeda, and Christian Nava.
Thank you! I would love to answer some questions.
1A) 21 years old, 155, 6′ & am more of a grappler but have been working my standup a lot lately.
1) I have wanted to fight ever since I was a kid and heard stories of my grandpa fighting on the ranches. When I saw mma for the first time I knew someday I wanted to try it
2) Chael Sonnen, love him or hate him, he has great work ethic & works his ass off. & he isn’t going to stop until he wins his dad a world title. Diaz brothers. They are true martial artists and great athletes.
3) I want to take it as far as possible. If I end up making it to the UFC someday that is fine by me.
4) staying consistently dedicated. If you want to truly improve, you can’t lose dedication