Did Mitt peak too soon?

Every candidate running for president has a time in the campaign when they are at their most popular — for whatever reason. Public emotion is at its top while critical analysis of their blather hasn’t hit home yet.

Obviously, incumbents have a problem with this since the public has been watching them blather on for four years. The job of the challenger, then, is to make their case for thowing the bum out late enough so public emotion hits its peak right about election day. The job of the incumbent, obviously, is to keep this from happening, putting the challenger on the defensive early enough so he/she can be shown to be a clown who doesn’t deserve election.

Polls like those cited here (click) make me wonder if my impression a while ago of the Mittster being really popular a bit too soon — like, say, July? — rather than November is coming true. He was hot after the primaries, but now he’s having trouble gaining traction with his accusations of welfare, or whatever other things he’s trying to accuse Obama of. His efforts to take words from Obama and turn them against him are so blatantly out of context even Mitt’s fans are having trouble supporting him. His tax and budget plans have been denounced by impartial groups that Mitt has cited in the past, and how does he explain that?

And while apologists are trying to gloss it over, Mitt’s trip to Europe was a real foot-in-mouth extravaganza.

So now the polls are heading south for him and all he really has to hope for is that the carefully engineered suspence over his vice presidential selection will give him a bump or the economy will take  a downturn.

The Sarah Palin fury will be hard to repeat, and it’s kind of ironic that during the 2004 election Republicans accused Dems of hoping the war in Iraq would go badly so Bush would lose, and I would never accuse Romney of hoping that Americans do more poorly financially just so he can get elected, but he can’t be happy about the stories showing that things are, however slowly, getting better.

More financial uncertainty would help him, but if anyone was going to try to make more uncertainty with a good deficit crisis, that is going to be tough to engineer with the Congress out of session. Congressional GOP leaders don’t want to do that anyway because the public is also pretty tired of  THAT sort of foolishness.

So where does this leave Mitt?

In trouble a bit too soon.

33 Responses to Did Mitt peak too soon?

1. Catherine Hoffman says:

I know why you’re my favorite–you hit the proverbial nail on the head and you also give my thoughts fodder. I love it and this one is a great blog. Thanks Mr. Charlie. Another good one.

2. Myth Buster says:

LIBOR to the rescue. The London Inter-bank Offering Rate is a juggernaut that just recently left the station. PIIGS (Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece, Spain) are feeling the “Austerity”; the Eurozone is next. Barclays, RBS, Citigroup, JPM chase have all admitted involvement with rigging the lending rate underpinning the valuations of a $Quadrillion in assets from Muni bonds, Treasury bonds, Oil, Gold, Wheat, Corn, Pigs, Cattle, Diamonds; you name it.
    Tim Geithner just admitted he knew of the interest rate fixing and failed to notify Operation Gun Runner Eric Holder at the Justice Dept.
    Romney may be the Bain of America and LIBOR may be his Black Horse. It may be hard to imagine most of the world involved in a class Action Lawsuit against International Banks, but that’s the way it’s shaping up.
    You may recall Congress had just recessed when 160 Uranium tipped Tomahawk Cruise Missiles hit Libya. Pretty convenient eh?

3. Doug Gibson says:

Charlie, an ad blitz that he can’t match financially by law until after the convention has hurt Mitt with independents, no doubt there. However, this 43 percent approval rating by Gallup is still saddlebags for President Obama. http://www.gallup.com/poll/113980/Gallup-Daily-Obama-Job-Approval.aspx

• packsoldier says:

I love Chuck accuses Romney of being dishonest about welfare while ignoring the fact that Obama is running the most cynical, dishonest, vicious campaign of the last 40 years.

4. Midwinter says:

It’s important to acknowledge in all of this that Mitt has essentially been running for president since 2008.

5. hawg says:

campaigning at this point is pretty much directed at idiots. if people do not know who they are voting for and why by now, they haven’t been paying attention and probably shouldn’t be allowed to pollute the voting gene pool.

nothing demonstrates this better than “polls”.
    don’t worry about mr. mondale, you’re doing just fine, gov. walker, you’re toast, back out.

6. Mark Sparkman says:

Charlie, so it’s like basketball? Get going strong in January or March and then fade awayyyyyy……

7. rls says:

… don’t think picking ryan will really help with independents — mitt just moved his campaign even further to the right — ryan’s not going to add any voters romney didn’t already have –

8. Myth Buster says:

Paul Ryan will help; he is a fellow CFR initiate sworn to end national sovereignty, a member of George Soros’ National Endowment for Democracy; the Atlas Society based on Ayn Rands New World Order blueprint “Atlas Shrugged”; the American Enterprise Institute; the Neo-con playbook “Project for a New American Century” whose PNAC document called for a New Pearl Harbor; achieved on 9/11/2001; the CATO Institute based on the treasonous philosophy of the Roman statesman Cato, the arch enemy of murdered Caesar Julius Caesar; the Tea Party and Empower America, both Masonic insitutions; the Jesuits, Knights of Malta and Knights of Columbus.
    This guy is sure a a busy Union busting little beaver isn’t he?.

9. Lib Exposer says:

“or the economy will take a downturn”???

Did you mean “another downturn?”

It’s this kind of naive liberal garbage that finally persuaded me to cancel my subscription. Charles is the type of guy with “I buy local” bumper stickers on the back of his Japanese import – literally. A typical lib hypocrite who hasn’t written anything worthwhile in years. He’d just as soon let the lives of people of this country decay just as he’s let his own home and yard go. Grow up, Charles.

• Fred White says:

@Lib Exposer – Wise UP
      Don’t be embarrassed, it’s a common trait of “Conservatives” to be ignorant of or to distort the facts but here’s the ugly truth about your “foreign vehicles”:

The 10 most American vehicles and where they’re made:

1. Toyota Camry, Georgetown, Ky., and Lafayette, Ind.
      2. Ford F-150, Dearborn, Mich., and Claycomo, Mo.
      3. Honda Accord, Marysville, Ohio
      4. Toyota Sienna, Princeton, Ind.
      5. Honda Pilot, Lincoln, Ala.
      6. Chevrolet Traverse, Lansing, Mich.
      7. Toyota Tundra, San Antonio
      8. Jeep Liberty, Toledo, Ohio
      9. GMC Acadia, Lansing
      10. Buick Enclave, Lansing

ref: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2012/07/toyota-camry-beats-ford-f-150-as-most-american-made/1#.UCg9_qBZAyI

I personally own a Camry Hybrid and it’s the best car I’ve ever had. My American “brand” vehicles over the years were a 1965 Ford Fairlane, 1978 Plymouth Volare and a 1984 F-250. They all proved to be POS. BTW: The last two were bought new.

• Lib Exposer says:

How refreshing! Another lib speaking in half-truths. Yes, it’s true that the cars on the list you googled are ASSEMBLED in the U.S. with some U.S. parts. In fact if you read the fine print, you’ll see that the cars on your list are considered “American” because the majority of the parts are built or assembled in the U.S. (Who wants to read the fine print, though? We’ll just pass ObamaCare because it sounds great even though we don’t really know what it is and it’s too much to read.) Unfortunately, I don’t see Charles’ Subaru on your list even though they do have a plant in Indiana and it’s possible it may have been the final assembly point. The important parts, like the engine are Japanese made. I would think someone so eco-friendly and local-loyal would buy something as American made as possible.

“You didn’t build that.”

• ctrentelman says:

Not entirely sure what my gardening skills have to do with anything. I look at it a minimally tended lawn as conserving gasoline and water in these times of foreign oil dependency and drought, not to mention encouraging a natural environment.

My grandchildren think dandilions are festive, too. Sorry, they outrank you.

10. Decider says:

Please, don’t keep it a secret! What is YOUR automobile — you know, the one COMPLETELY made and assembled in the U.S? (a lack of response will be acknowledged as an apology to Charles)

• Lib Exposer says:

Reading comprehension problem? I never said mine is. I don’t have the sticker on mine. My money goes to whatever is best, no matter where it might be made. Sound like capitalism? Of course if Barry wins again I’ll have even less money to spend since I’ll continually be required to help subsidize everything with the fruits of my labor.

“You didn’t build that.”

• Decider says:

You STILL haven’t identified the manufacturer of the auto YOU own !
        Perhaps, the hypocritical SHAME of disavowing your own auto’s manufacturer is equivalent to the hypocritical SHAME of Romney disavowing his own TAXES for the last ten years.

• ctrentelman says:

chill out decider — it’s probably a korean-built VW with a Japanese engine, brazillian brakes and a German transmission, but he bought his fuzzy dice at Checker auto, so by the “one drop” rule that makes it American-made.

• Decider says:

Take care Charles, ‘exposer’ might sue you for libel and slander for “exposing” his transparent hypocrisy.

• Decider says:

OK, build it with NO ONE’S HELP !

11. Decider says:

Please, don’t keep it a secret! What is YOUR automobile — you know, the one COMPLETELY made and assembled in the U.S? (a lack of response will be acknowledged as an apology to Charles and also as a blatantly dishonest posting on your part)

12. Fred White says:

“Yes, it’s true that the cars on the list you googled are ASSEMBLED in the U.S. with some U.S. parts.”

In the case of the current Camry it’s 80% U.S. made parts. Only the Ford Explorer has more at 85% U.S. parts:

“In fact if you read the fine print, you’ll see that the cars on your list are considered “American” because the majority of the parts are built or assembled in the U.S.”

I thought you were supposed to be arguing against me… ???

“The important parts, like the engine are Japanese made.”

What?? The important parts can’t be made by U.S. workers. Actually, in the case of the Camry and other Toyota vehicles made primarily in Georgetown, Kentucky the engines are also made there:

I feel your pain, my advice would be to stop watching negative/fear promoting Fox News so much, start enjoying life again and spend some time learning the truth about what’s going on in this nation. I would start with learning everything you can about the Koch Brothers, Rupert Murdoch and Richard Mellon Scaife. Here’s a hint, unless you’re a billionaire they’re really not your friends…..and the enormous amount of money being spent by them to direct the political future of this nation has nothing to do with your well being or that of your children.

• Lib Exposer says:

More assumptions. I don’t watch Fox News for the same reasons I normally don’t read Mr. Trentelman’s left-leaning garbage (actually followed a link while viewing mugshots). I try to view things objectively, and that’s nearly impossible through all forms of media on either side.

If you think our present political situation is okay, then it’s time to take the blinders off. Socialism, communism, fascism, whatever you want to call it, has never worked and will never work. The same people complaining about Romney and these others you mentioned having too much money are the same people who want to be spoon fed their entire lives. Even Pelosi’s daughter made a documentary about welfare and the disgusting entitlement culture that the Obama administration has further developed:

“Tell me why you like Obama.”
      “Because he gives me stuff.”

Btw, it’s never a good idea to use wikipedia as a source when TRYING to seem intelligent.

Wake up!

13. Fred White says:

Wake up! – I’m actually going to bed, but before I do:
    I was just trying to help you out, but you may be more hopeless than I thought. For not watching Fox News (aka RNC) you sure have their talking points memorized. So just where are you getting this crap? I watch Fox sometimes just for a laugh, because it’s so easy to detect the right wing spin. The spin/misinformation was harder to detect 10-12 years ago, but over the years it’s become more and more blatant. I think even they are amazed at how ignorant/naive/gullible the majority of Republicans are. I’ll bet the boys in the back room at Fox and the RNC have had a few laughs over how much they crap they can pump out and have it believed. Karl Rove is a master at it, I bet you think he’s a great guy. Well, I’ve got a life – so must say Bye for now……………….

• Lib Exposer says:

And MSNBC, CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS, etc. don’t spin everything for the left? Lib hypocrisy at its best. Blame Fox News for having an agenda when MSNBC is exactly the same on the other side of the spectrum. At least I admit that it occurs on BOTH sides, and that’s why I choose to watch neither, because of their lack of objectivity.

As for where I get this “crap,” I’m able to think for myself. When the daughter of one of the most liberal people on the face of the earth is even exposing the “crap” I speak of, then it might be a little bit of a problem. I see it every day in the people I deal with at work and in life in general. I believe in hard work, and the right to enjoy the rewards of it in any way that I please, and that includes giving. I don’t believe in rewarding laziness and getting something for nothing. I don’t feel the same tingle in my leg that you and Chris Matthews feel when you listen to Obama.

“To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.” – Thomas Jefferson

That is all. Good night Charles…errr, Fred.

• ctrentelman says:

Sorry lib, fred is fred, not me. I don’t play those games. The last time i looked i signed all my stuff with my own public name and picture on my column.

Lib Exposer is invited, although certainly not required, to do the same.

14. Myth Buster says:

Hard to believe the US imports oil through the Straits of Hormuz with the Bakken Oil Field backing up oil in Cushing Oklahoma, the ANWR Oil Fields and the Gulf of Mexico eh? How’s that for Treason?

15. Stephen M. Cook says:

Did Mitt peak too soon?

I have no idea. How much LSD did he ingest?

16. Medford says:

Reading this a week after it was published makes one realize just how much Trentelman missed the mark–like usual.

17. Myth Buster says:

Mitt may have peaked in 1984 when he accepted El Salvadoran Elite investments at Bain Capital tied to Death Squads, Cocaine and Weapons smuggling and murder of 70,000 during Civil War in El Salvador.

18. Pingback: I did say Mitt peaked too soon, but this is rediculous … | Blogging the Rambler