Bill Maher is a jerk

Gad, some people’s children: Bill Maher, who seems to make his living making fun of religion can’t let it go.

He sent out a tweet, or something, today calling Mormonism a cult (click) and naturally the media is gaga, although why, I cannot tell.

Maher is like Limbaugh, Coulter and all others of that ilk: Professional troublemakers who need to raise the ante to keep their ratings up. His movie “Religulous” was offensive.  I wish he’d just shut up.

The history of the LDS church has much to look at and question. So what? So does Christianity and all the rest. The people I know now who are LDS are nice folks, their religion leads them to be nice people, end of story.

The only religion I can think of off hand that doesn’t have much in its past to question is the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster because it is, straight up, a joke, although a darn tasty one with clam sauce. People who follow it tend to be nice folks, too.

Maher is a jerk. He should get a real job.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Bill Maher is a jerk

1. Sheryl Ginsberg says:

I think Bill Maher is a comedian, which is different from a jerk. Different from Rush Limbaugh who called a nice young college woman a slut, different from Ann Coulter who called John Edwards a “fag”. Yeah, it’s stupid to call the LDS religion a “cult” but that’s not the same as insulting specific people. Yeah, he *can* be a jerk, though. And I love me my LDS Dems. They don’t even have to be covered in clam sauce, which is not kosher for my people…who are sometimes called much worse things than cultists.

2. Dan S. says:

“the media is gaga, although why, I cannot tell.”

Look in the mirror, Charlie. Starting religious fights (or fanning the flames) sells papers. Or mouse clicks, or whatever y’all are trying to sell.

As a comedian, I don’t find him funny much; as a satirist, he wields a rhetorical meataxe instead of a stiletto; he’s the kind of guy I find it awkward to have on my side of a debateN 8 vedsett.

But mostly, he’s not funny.

• Jim W says:

Maher was kinda funny, once, in the early 1990s. The Comedy Central version of Politically Incorrect had its moments. But he hasn’t been funny in fifteen years. And yeah: even by comic standards, he’s a jerk.

4. Erick says:

“People who follow it tend to be nice folks, too”

Seeing as how you are calling Bill Maher to the carpet for lack of respect, it would seem that least you could do is extend the same courtesy by acknowledging the “people” who follow the FSM by their proper title, “Pastafarians”.

5. Sylvia says:

I’m less offended by his calling my religion cult than I am when he makes fun of babies with Down’s syndrome. There’s a difference between funny and mean–and he’s mean.

• laytonian says:

I missed that “joke”, Sylvia. What did Maher say about Down children, specifically?

• Art Carnage says:

I don’t recall it exactly, but the thrust of it was that with Sarah Palin’s experience with a learning-challenged child, she should be well prepared to work with the commentators on Fox News.

6. Reality says:

I think you’re comparison is absurd. Limbaugh and Coulter present themselves as legitimate sources for news, while Maher consistently makes it clear that he is a comedian who uses current events as inspiration for his humor. Also, to call Religulous “offensive” seems a bit unfair. If someone were to make a movie attempting to prove the validity of Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Islam, or any other religion, would you also find that to be offensive? Being that nobody knows for sure why humans are here or what our purpose is, Atheism is at least equally as valid (if not more in my humble opinion) as religions are. It isn’t as if the movie singles out a particular religion. In fact, Maher stated that he made a deliberate effort to disprove ALL religions rather than to single out one.

• ctrentelman says:

I quit watching it 20 minutes in because I was offended at the way he made fun of people’s religious beliefs.

that, by my definition, makes it offensive. Your results may differ.

• Tim Hansen says:

You quit after 20 minutes? Now, now, now. I remember back in the ’80′s when the movie, “The Last Temptation of Christ”, was called blasphemous and cruel by many people who did not have the fortitude to see what they were bellowing against. In that particular case the author was reinstated by the Orthodox Church he belonged to years later after someone took the time to actually follow what he was saying. Maher would contend that all religions are cults. That is his prerogative as a Rationalist. He is a mouthy satirist for sure. I have noticed over the years that he does not mock the ideas of community created by religion, but rather the unprovable notions and beliefs that have social and intellectual implications by any given “group” in a society. If I can’t joke with my good friend and his underwear than I doubt he would be such a good friend. I give him room to mock my rituals too. Maher speaks to a large audience. Anyone who does this, especially comedians, speaks more to ideas than individuals. The movie, “Religulous”, is and can be disturbing because it pokes at ideas that are often fanciful and unproven. The ideas of faith and belief must be poked and prodded in every area of life. I am not a Maherite finding myself in discord with x number of his ideas. But if the King ain’t wearin’ clothes, it probably should be mentioned. I recall you being called a “jerk” in written responses to you in similar situations. Thanks for what you do Charles. I really do mean that.

7. Art Carnage says:

The difference between Maher and Limbaugh, is that Maher uses actual, real facts, whereas the “facts” that Limbaugh uses are pulled out of his butt.

• Brent Glines says:

And yet Media Matters, Politico, etc, have people dedicated to listening to him minutely, yet rarely do they find him in error.

Speaking of pulling things out of your butt, you aren’t doing so badly in that regard, yourself.

8. Mark says:

Mormonism is a CULT by definition if you knew all the secret practices that are kept from the public like Mr. Maher probably does you would agree.
    Cult:
    A system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.
    A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.

9. Decider says:

Dylan Thomas, an English poet who liked to tip a few, was asked about excessive drinking — he responded that his definition of an alcoholic was anyone who drank more than he.

The word “cult” is kind of the same way — it’s what people call a religion not their own.

10. Dovie says:

I have never seen Bill Maher in person. Never watched religulous. Only get second hand reports (like this one). How many people have called Mormonism a cult? Old news.

I suspect the problem is that many people find it hard to respect religious people because the lie. A vast majority of Mormons do not really believe they are going to have physical bodies after the resurrection. They do not believe in baptisms for the dead. They don’t even KNOW their own theology, but they sit in church every Sunday swearing it’s true. Then they pretend to be “cool” by drinking beer or going to the def leppard concert to make up for it. By lifestyle, I am a better Mormon than 90% of Mormons. But I don’t swear I believe stuff that I don’t believe.

I am really fond of people who admit they aren’t any better than the next guy over and that they don’t know what God is like. Those are honest people.

Religious people merely like to be in “the group”. I had an artist boyfriend in college who put a little sheep in all his work because he thought the juxtaposition of religion and sexual innuendo hilarious. I still chuckle whenever I see a sheep……

• Erick says:

I’m not sure why everybody get’s so up in arms over whether or not Mormonism is a “cult”. I find it to be a rather useless descriptor. If you ask evangelicals what they mean by it, it is essentially their equivalent word for calling Mormon’s “apostates”. If you ask atheist’s and non-religionists, they are even more ambiguous. They are generally trying to make some kind of argument about how Mormons “follow the Prophet”, or it is some kind of oblique reference to the esoteric nature of the Temple.

At the end of the day there is very little concensus on what the term even means, and yet, Mormons get so defensive about it. For example, I was surprised at how poorly Elder Holland handled the question from John Sweeney. He should have simply asked, “what do you mean by “cult”". I don’t think John Sweeney would have had an adequate response to that question. But even if he did, it would have been an opportunity for Elder Holland to counter that pejorative by ironing out the details. The discussion completely changes when you ask people to elaborate on what they mean by “cult”, to the point where that term is completely neutralized of all of it’s connotative potency.

11. Neal Cassidy says:

Didn’t all religions start out as cults? The Catholic church was small at one time. Martin Luther was the organizer of what could be called a cult.How large or popular does a religious group or belief have to be before it leaves cult status and becomes a mainstream religion? And in the larger schee of things a religion wwith some 14 million members is small enouhh to be called a cult by larger religions. i don’t watch Bill Maher or even Dennis Miller who seem to me to be the opposite sides of the same coin.

12. PolishandProud says:

I read Maher’s post and I have to say this is much ado about nothing. What is it that you find so offensive, his comment about your nominee or the reference to your church?