Thundering idiots are at it again

I was trying to be calm, to be at peace, but then found myself pondering the truely inane statements by Dorsie Van Orton, of the Utah Grassroots Alliance, after passage Thursday of a bill in the Utah House to reject all federal health reform measures.

It’s an obscene idea, mostly because it is based on the idea that Utah can get along just fine, thank you, without the federal government.

As I pointed out in my column last Sunday, taking the feds out of Utah would be like setting off a nuclear bomb — 37,000 jobs, multiple billions of dollars of economic impact, not to mention Hill Air Force Base and ATK and the IRS, but these whackos think we’ll be just fine going back to pioneer days when we sure as heck told Johnston’s Army where it could go, yessir.

This idiocy is infuriating enough, and one hopes it won’t be passed by the Senate as well. Even so, I’m trying real hard here not to make my column in the paper one angry rant after another. I get the feeling it bores the readers and is bad for my blood pressure anyway.

But then I listen to Dorsie, who not only said that Utah can take care of its own, but said Utah doesn’t need any health care reform of its own either. One gets the feeling she’s not even real sure about this whole medical insurance thing, except for her and her own kids, of course.

Anyone who needs help, she said, can just depend on charity.

No, seriously, that’s what she said. “This is the most generous country in the world and I’m confident in the feeling that even with out the federal government we as Utahns will always take care of our own.”

The reporter then asked her if she was going to organize her neighbors to raise the money to do that. Her answer is telling: She weaseled.

She didn’t say “Oh yes!” and she didn’t say “No.” She said “I believe it is the role of the community,” and then blathered on about how charity and governments and hospitals will all come through.

I want to find the woman and scream “MEDICAID IS HOW THE COMMUNITY COMES THROUGH AND HELPS PEOPLE YOU TWIT!” Just who the H does she thinks pays for all those communities and hospitals and other things?

To great extent, THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. And TAXES. And MY INSURANCE PREMIUMS WHICH ARE SOCIALIZED MEDICINE.

But I must be calm. I must be reasoned.

And it’s Friday and I’d rather not, once again, use my column to rant about those unwashed idiots we call a Legislature. It’s too much like shooting fish in a barrel, not to mention it does no good. They don’t care.

But it’s going to be hard, although Sunday’s column is already done (American Flags) and I’ve got the weekend to calm down.

Come Monday, we’ll see.

This entry was posted in Blogging the Rambler and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Thundering idiots are at it again

1. flatlander100 says:

“Sunday’s column is already done (American Flags).”

OK, you’ve got me hooked. Will turn at once to your column Sunday. [American flags. Are you for 'em or agin' em?] [grin] Wondering what the column will deal with.

Much it could deal with. My four pet peeves in re: American flags in general are [in no particular order]:

1. Contract patriotism: hiring Boy Scouts to put out the American flag on your lawn on appropriate days, for a fee. Jeez Louize, you’d think someone who wanted to express his or her patriotism could rouse themselves enough to put the flag out themselves on days they thought it should be flying.

2. Flag Day: one of the silliest commemorative days in the calendar, and the one day on which I absolutely refuse to fly the flag from the pole on my porch. Flag Day comes way too close to turning the flag into some kind of fetish for worship — yes, worship — for me. Creepy.

3. Those ladies of a certain age who consider themselves super patriots and who denounce flag burners with great venom, yet who attend Republican political conventions attired in dresses made out of flags. I’ve seen them for years now, in several states. Honoring the flag by wearing it as a dress? In the immortal words of Mr. Spock, does not compute.

4. Those overheated patriots on the right who shout at flag burners that American soldiers died so that they could have the freedom to burn flags, and if they exercise that freedom, they should be put in jail! Once again, does not compute.

Curious now to see what your column’s take on flags will be.

2. just me says:

Gee, Charlie — what are you so worried about? Dorsie’s completely right.
    We will take care of our own through our generous charity.

We already do it all the time. How many times have you seen those little cans and jars on counters all over the place pleading for a few pennies to help some family whose child or mother or whatever needs a few bucks to cover their chemo or surgery or heart transplant?

What’s wrong with that system?

Seriously, this is the most frightening stuff I’ve heard since the last time I tuned in to KSL in the afternoon.

3. just me says:

I just received a letter from Primary Children’s Medical Center seeking donations. It points out that, “You might be surprised to learn that one out of nine children who walk in the doors of PCMC cannot afford to pay their medical costs.”

Yup. But we don’t need health insurance when we have generous donors like me and the rest of Utah’s “charitable wonderfolks.” I’m retired and have a hard time scraping up much of anything to give. I’d really love to find out how much Dorsie will donate.

I am so disgusted I’m ready to go drop a bag of tea all over the floor of our Capitol. Do you know of anyone who might be actually trying to organize an Anti-Tea Party? Is there a chance the Standard could start publishing Jim Hightower’s Lowdown columns?

4. Dovie says:

Just me – I bet Dorsie plans to contribute baked goods or a half hour of “sitting” a week. Not the type to give money.

I can’t understand how we miss the big picture: insurance costs are cheaper with a big pool. That’s how insurance works. Multiple little competitors are not going to control costs because of the nature of the thing. They can’t remain solvent when they get a few folks with big claims, even if they are are well-intentioned.

5. Utah should just secede already. We don’t want federal funds, jobs, or healthcare. We don’t want federal gun laws. We want the guvmint to give back federal lands.

Utah wants to form a more perfect union than the US. How can we argue when people make fun of our state?

6. Kim says:

Dorsie, you are now hired to raise money for all the unisured’s medical bills that need paying. Just so we are clear, it is a strictly volunteer position. You can start with my brother’s children and their medical bills. He was laid off from his job last summer and lost his insurance.

7. flatlander100 says:

A fact to keep in mind: under our current system, close to half of all the bankruptcies in the US today are medical bankruptcies — people declaring bankruptcy because of massive medical bils they cannot pay. Just something to keep in mind.

8. Hyrum says:

I agree with Catherine… secede already. Print your own money, take care of your own highways, make federal lands places you can tear up or worship in… maybe both at the same time. Then quit taking Federal funds! You talk a big talk but I know without a shadow of a doubt that if this were to actually happen you’d be screaming for help as soon as the deseret canned food dried up. Could be healthy for you to go hungry for a while actually. We Americans tire of hearing of your regrets to have not kept your own country. We thought maybe you had acted to readily and sent troops down into your streets to see if you were serious. If only we would have looked closer. Please… secede already. You’re costing us a bundle.

9. LarryB says:

Margret and Helen have it right.

Today’s Republican Party has an issue with abortion, but then fights against healthcare reform knowing full well that more than 9 million children lack health insurance. A stretch argument to be sure, but then again 18 19 Children and Counting is a big hit.

My party at least recognizes the need for increased access to birth control. Your party is pro-life right up until they cut the cord and then you turn your attention to electing judges who promote shortening the waiting time on death row.

And for Pete’s sake your party has an issue with gay people, but you gladly send your straight children to war while telling gays they cannot serve. This one, more than any other, has me scratching my head. Aren’ t you just delaying their eventual trip to Hell?

If my grandmothers were still alive, I’d hope theyd be just like these two senior citizens,

Larry